Pages

Friday 10 August 2012

Bvlgari – Man & Aqua

bvlgari
I was ambling through Harrod’s yesterday afternoon (Thursday’s are so dull) and got chatting to people in the perfume department, which is all too easy, and one of the assistants asked me if I had tried Bvlgari Man. Luckily for me (not for her), I recalled that I have in fact tried it and own a bottle. For some unfathomable reason it had been languishing, along with it’s companion, Aqua on a shelf, unused for some months.

Bvlgari Man is a woody, oriental fragrance that opens with notes of bergamot and violet – right from the start however, you get plenty of nice, rich wood, mainly sandalwood. This woodiness stays throughout, once the bergamot has dried away and opens up a wonderfully soft (yet perfectly strong enough) heart. It is it’s base notes though that make me really like Man. Slightly spicy, musky wood with amber – there is something else in there that is slightly sweet, but as yet it has remained, by me at least, unidentified. It isn’t a scent for the younger man though, better suited to his older brother I would suggest. Definitely one for the evening or a formal function as it exudes class and sophistication.

Its stablemate, Bvlgari Aqua on the other hand is a lovely aquatic (surprise surprise) scent. It manages to be both light and dark at the same time, something many aquatic scents don’t manage. The sea is, after all, not a country stream – it has a dark heart, full of hidden depths. It opens with a lovely citrus (more orange citrus than anything else) blast – nothing unusual but nice all the same. It is the heart where the wafts of sea breeze come through with a wonderful seaweed note. By seaweed, I don’t mean the vulgar, methane like smell you get when visiting the coast, but a deep, dark and slightly salty note that has a definite aquatic feel. Unspecified woody notes and amber make up the base and linger surprisingly well, although it takes at least two hours for them to really shine. Where would I wear it? Hmm. I think it’s definitely a date scent.

Man is available from around £45 and Aqua from around £41.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics